Monday, September 7, 2009

The Last Emperor

My boyfriend and I had a movie night where we watched "The Last Emperor", which details the life of the last emperor of China, Puyi.  Being of Manchurian descent, Puyi was the last emperor of the Qing dynasty.  Puyi ascended the throne in 1908 at the ripe age of two, and ruled until 1812.  This film chronicles his life, showing the vast changes in which he had to endure.  He lived a life of privilege as emperor,  faced chaos when China was plagued with warlords, struggled coming in and out of power as China transformed into a communist nation,  endured 10 years in the Fushun War Criminals Management Center, and lived out the rest of his life as a member of conference for the People's Republic of China.  His life was not easy, nor typical for an emperor, but his place in Chinese history is significant.  

I really liked this movie, even though it was slow at times.  I recommend it for anyone who would like to learn more about Chinese history, and get a glimpse into the life of the last emperor of China.  

3 comments:

Damon said...

how funny~ I was just reading Puyi online, I saw the movie long time ago and I was thinking about go rent it when I have time.

Anonymous said...

Ratard.

Anonymous said...

My favorite scene in the movie was when the little emperor takes a crap in the royal chamber pot. The monks then take the emperor's fresh logs, rolling it side to side and deeply inhale all of it's majestic glory.