Saturday, October 6, 2012

Spicy Beef Noodle Soup

My life has been a whirlwind over the last few years, and now that I am living in California and engaged to Mr. Fu, I feel it is the perfect time to pick this blog back up.  To start things off, I am going to give you all my recipe for Chinese Beef Noodle Soup, which I debuted a few days ago.

As a little note to get things started off, I don't really measure when I cook, I go by sight, smell, and taste!

Ingredients:

-Soy Sauce
-Dark Soy Sauce (sometimes labeled as mushroom sauce)
-Garlic
-Ginger
-Sugar
-Bean Sauce
-Star Anise
-Black peppercorns
-white pepper
-Bok Choy
-Cilantro
-Green onions
-Sesame Seed Oil
-Beef Broth or Beef Bones to Boil Your Own Broth
-Beef/ I used beef shank because Mr. Fu likes tendons (not my cup of tea), but you can also just used any sliced beef or brisket.
-Chinese Flour Noodles

1) In a bowl combine soy sauce (just enough to saturate the meat), bean sauce (about 1/4 cup), and sugar (about a teaspoon).

2) Saturate the beef in the sauce and marinade for as long as possible, I prefer to marinade overnight for optimum flavor.

3) In a pan add sesame seed oil (enough to lightly cover the bottom), diced green onions (only the bottom portion), chopped ginger,  and chopped garlic (I like to used a ton of garlic, 7-8 cloves.

4) Next, begin to lightly brown your marinated beef.

5) Once the beef has been in the pot for a few minutes and the blood is beginning to lessen, add soy sauce (about a cup), a few splashes of dark soy sauce, black peppercorns (about 2 tablespoons), star anise (Just drop some in), and white pepper (a few dashes).

6) Allow the beef to slowly braise in the sauce for 3-4 hours on low heat.  This will ensure your beef is nice and tender for the soup.

7) Once your beef has braised, add 2 cans or 2 cups of homemade beef broth.  Add water to achieve the level of broth you would like.  Let simmer.

8) In a separate pot, boil your noodles until they are al dente (not too soft).

9) When your noodles are almost done, boil your bok choy in a separate pot.

10) In a bowl add your noodles, ladle your soup over the noodles and top off with boiled bok choy, cilantro, and slices of green onion.

I hope you all enjoy!  I know we did!







No comments: